ArtServe was incorporated in 1989 as one of six original arts incubators in the U.S. and has expanded its services to become South Florida’s premier arts incubator. Since its inception, ArtServe has greatly improved its incubator mission by developing events, programs and services that help artists turn art into business while providing a positive impact on the lives of children, seniors, and at-promise individuals. ArtServe hosts 14 major exhibits annually in its JM Family Enterprises Gallery; administers Broward County’s Cooperative Advertising Program; presents a comprehensive Technical Assistance Program with funding from the NEA and Broward County; manages ArtsCalendar.com, South Florida’s online guide to arts and culture; and received the 2009 State of Florida Arts Recognition Award. In 2012, ArtServe provided more than 2,000 client services reaching almost 80,000 attendees.
As one of only six original arts incubators in the United States, ArtServe develops progressive events, programs and services that help artists turn art into business, while providing a positive impact on the lives of diverse communities and enriching the cultural landscape of South Florida.
In keeping with its mission, ArtServe’s key initiatives are:
1. The ArtServe Facility: ArtServe annually hosts 14 major exhibits in its JM Family Enterprises Gallery; operates the Gallery Gift Shop for member artists; hosts hundreds of performances and classes in its auditorium annually; provides essential training and technical assistance programs for artists and the community.
2. The Cooperative Marketing Program. To provide not-for-profit cultural organizations with Broward-based cultural events reduced advertising rates and a recognizable presence through larger media placements. Contributions from eligible not-for-profit cultural agencies are matched by the Cultural Division, enabling the program to purchase more than $300,000 in advertising and marketing services annually. Currently ArtServe provides marketing support to 75 eligible cultural nonprofits.
3. ArtsCalendar.com: an ArtServe initiative that benefits the entire region by providing a master arts calendar and data aggregator providing free listings to all artists and art and cultural organizations.
4. ArtServe's Eco Art Therapy Program: The core of the Eco-Art Therapy program focuses on a collaboration between ArtServe member artists, therapist and participant (at promise children and young adults), providing an infinite and unconditional field that allows for expression through symbolic communication that in turn leads to positive change and healing! Last year the Eco Art program touched the lives of students at the Sunset School in Davie, Fl.
5. (InSIDE)/Out!, Art as Healing Therapy, is ArtServe’s ever-expanding art therapy program, which now includes, the main gallery exhibit, traveling children’s exhibits, and art therapy workshops. The premise of this program is to reflect on the value of the arts and show how this value transcends into one of the largest segments in our population – individual’s living with disabilities. It highlights the dire need for the arts and arts programs and shows how art act as a vital medium for communication – a universal language.
6. Red Eye Event, a premier multi-media summer event, caters to the highly inventive, lowbrow and radical art. The purpose of the Red Eye is to create an innovative and exciting project that adds a twist to the conventional gallery exhibit, an outlet for the young student fresh out of secondary communication. The Red Eye brings attention to beauty in the eccentric and raising awareness to a new age of artistic expression through dance, music, fashion, installations, and visual arts. Red Eye is on its way to becoming a weekend-long event and is now recognized as one of Fort Lauderdale's signature summer arts events.
7. Play Your Stuff, currently in the developmental stages, is an ArtServe program designed to provide a professional venue (1350 East) for local musicians to play their music for an audience and to have the opportunity to make music and music education a permanent part of their lives. ArtServe is committed to assisting local musicians with publishing and performance opportunities.
New opportunities are posted weekly and feature opportunities for artists of all genres and mediums at varying locations from Broward Center for the Performing Arts to hight profile restaurants. Current opportunities include...